You know your baby has a lot of siblings when...
1. There are spit-up stains on his clothes that are older than he is. There's history in those hand-me-downs.
2. She's being raised in a minivan. She's got no choice but to go along for the ride whenever the older kids are getting shuttled to or from an activity, lesson, or practice. Which is always.
3. When someone asks "When's the baby's naptime?" you realize you don't really know. She just sleeps when and where she can — usually in between drop-offs and pick-ups (see #2.)
|I can't NOT take pictures of babies sleeping with their butts up in the air.|
4. You own approximately one million baby blankets. Even though you don't have baby showers anymore, somehow new little blankets just keep showing up every time you're expecting. You suspect they may be reproducing somehow.
5. When a strange kid approaches him at the playground and smothers him in a hug, he just looks away in annoyance instead of crying. He knows from experience they'll get bored and leave him alone soon.
6. Almost every outfit he wears brings back misty memories of another one of your kids wearing it. Was it really so long ago when his big brother was that tiny?
7. Holiday shopping for her means searching through the right box of toys in the attic or basement. You're saving this stuff for a reason.
8. Despite your best efforts, some of her gear smells faintly musty. Everything needs a good washing after sitting in storage on and off and on and off again.
9. When someone grabs him under the arms and starts dragging him across the room, he doesn't fight it. He just enjoys the ride.
10. He wears pajamas 24/7. You know now that cute outfits are for your benefit, not the baby's. It's just easier in the morning to change him into a fresh pair of footie PJs than find a matching shirt/pants ensemble for him to spit up on.
11. She crawls and walks earlier than any of her siblings did. If she wants to keep up with them, she needs to be mobile. Like, yesterday.
13. Her stroller has a broken sun shade, several scuff marks, and a bent wheel. Ditto for the colored-on crib with tooth marks and the beat-up high chair. Nobody can say you didn't get your money's worth out of your baby gear.
14. He is the happiest and most-loved kid on the planet. No one has a larger or more devoted fan club than the baby of a big family.